Saturday, April 30, 2011

Maple Pecan Scones

Today while my husband was working with our church on a home improvement project, I decided to try out Ree's Maple Pecan Scone recipe (not listed on The Pioneer Woman, so I found it here instead).  If there's two things I haven't done much of around the kitchen, it's cooking breads/pastries and cooking plain cuts of meat.  Hopefully this book will help me develop both of those skills!

Although the two sticks of unsalted butter practically gave me chest pains just looking at them, this recipe was relatively easy to put together.  I still need to invest in a pastry cutter so I used my hands to initially blend the dry ingredients and chunks of butter.  I hunted and hunted around my grocery store but couldn't find any maple extract or flavoring.  Instead I used a couple tablespoons of maple syrup and I think the glaze turned out well.  I also invested in a plain old bag of all-purpose unbleached flour.  If you're eating two sticks of butter, might as well go all in and forget the whole wheat flour ;o)

The only modification I made to this recipe was with the glaze.  All I had in the house was expensive organic powdered sugar, so I cut the glaze recipe in half and used only 8 oz. of powdered sugar.  Believe me... I still had more than enough glaze!  Once they baked and set I enjoyed one with the remainder of my strongly-brewed coffee.  Delicious!  My only recommendation would be to cut these into 16 pieces rather than just 8.  They're so rich that you're better off to enjoy them a little at a time.




My grocery bill this week was semi-obscene due to a few sales on natural meat.  I picked up a 3# chuck roast in hopes of making Ree's roast with onions and carrots this week, but remembered that I haven't even invested in a dutch oven yet!  I have it narrowed down to two possibilities: one from Better Homes and Gardens in kiwi green, or a Lodge dutch oven in caribbean blue.  Lodge has a strong reputation for making a product rivaling Le Creuset for a small fraction of the price, so we'll see what I wind up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment